Thursday, April 14, 2011

Simple ways to start eating healthy....

Over the last year, I have learned some simple ways to shed the pounds.  One of the simplest things you can do is to start eating low fat high fiber foods.  For low fat, I'm specifically talking about saturated fat.  You should not consume more than 6% of your caloric intake in saturated fats.  Saturated fat is very unhealthy for you.  Another simple change is to switch your white pasta for whole wheat pasta.  Whole wheat or whole grain is much healthier because it it is higher in fiber, and not processed with enriched flour.  Also, trade in your white bread for whole wheat or whole grain bread.  If you are not much of a water drinker, like I was, start by adding at least two glasses of water a day.  Water keeps your body hydrated.  I found that after about 3 months of increasing my water intake, I was hardly drinking pop anymore.  When I do buy pop, I now only buy the 7.5 Oz cans instead of the 20 Oz bottles like I used to.  The 7.5 Oz cans come in a pack of 9, which today lasts me for about a month and a half because I hardly want soda anymore.  If you don't like the taste of plain water, buy Crystal Light on the Go packets.  But only use one of those a day because they still contain sugar.


These are just a few things that I have picked up along the way.  The hardest part for me right now, is that I find myself still eating processed food like Lean Cuisines, because it is easier than cooking for one.  It is just SO dang hard to cook just for one!  When I go to the grocery store, I now only buy enough food to last me the week.  This is because I don't eat things fast enough, especially fruits and veggies.  So, only having enough for the week, it forces me to eat them because that is all I have in the house to eat. Secondly, it helps keep the un-healthy food out of my house!


If you have any ideas on what helps you shed the pounds feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment