Thursday, April 21, 2016

1 Year ago ...


It is hard to believe that it has been a year since my Gastric Sleeve surgery. It amazes me of how much things and I have changed in that year. Over the last year, there have been many ups and downs. I know that I will continue to have these ups and downs, but I have learned to over come the downs and celebrate the ups. This journey is not just about losing the weight and making a lifestyle change, it is SO much more than that. This journey is also very emotional and mental. 
I have changed so much in not just my whole outlook at the way I live my life, but I have grown as a person. I have changed the way I view food and now I am eating to live and not living to eat. I know that is completely cliche, but it is true.

I would have never thought in my life that I would participate in 5K races. When I was growing up, I hated running. No, I didn't hate it, I DESPISED it! I hated to have to run in gym class! But now, I enjoy it. Believe it or not, I actually find it relaxing. Although, I would prefer to run on the treadmill than on the concrete, but the scenery is so much better. I would probably enjoy running even more if I still lived up in the good ole mountain west and could see the mountains around me. I also would have never thought I would do boot camps or even think about trying Cross Fit!

I have learned so much more on this journey than I could have ever dreamed was possible. Yes, I have tried diets all my life, but having the Gastric Sleeve has done a complete mental and emotional change on me. It's like my brain was remapped at the same time. That's the only way that I can explain it.

I may not be where I want to be OR where I thought I would be at my 1 year anniversary and that's OK. The things that I have learned about myself are priceless and unexpected.

I have fallen off track a bit the last couple of months, but it is time to reset and get back in the game 110% and not just 60%. It has been a little bit hard to be as I was prior to my move back in February. My move has been a huge adjustment.  I have to be up so much earlier and by the time I get off work and fight the hour long ride home in traffic, I am too exhausted to workout. I know this is an excuse, I just need to suck it up and just get it done!

The following song has been my mantra for the last several months, and it keeps me going each and everyday. Fight Song by Rachel Platten.

Highest Weight = 268
Surgery Weight = 247
Current Weight = 162

Accomplishments in this year:

1.) Weightloss of 106 pounds from my highest weight and 85 from surgery date
2.) Went from 2X/3X shirt size to a Med/Large
3.) Went from size 22/24 to 8/10
4.) Participated in 2 5K races (goal is to do 5 races in 2016)
5.) No longer pre-diabetic

I have come a very long way in just a year and I'm looking forward to accomplishing even more!

I am so thankful for Dr. Kim and staff at KBI for helping get this second chance at life.

2 comments:

  1. Brandie Borrego BeadleApril 21, 2016 at 2:34 PM

    I am so extremely proud of you Kara!!! You have accomplished so much and have worked so hard to get where you are today. You are a beautiful woman, who deserves so much happiness.

    ReplyDelete